Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Grouse

Today was a day of driving, driving and more driving. Started off looking for the Tufted Titmouse in Embrun, unfortunately I did not find the right park I think. So on my way back I went via Frank Kenny road to Wall road. Wall road is a very good place to find Northern Harriers and Rough Legged Hawks in the summer. I turned on 10th line to get to Navan Rd and spotted three Roughed Grouse in a tree. I managed to get two good shots before the flew off into the brush.

After that I headed out to Trail Road to see if the hawks were still present. One was circling overhead hunting. This is also a good place to see hawks, starlings, crows and various gulls. The hawks are usually found passed the entrance of the city dump.

I decided to head to Lanark by going through the country roads. One never knows what can be found driving along country roads. However it was very quiet except for some deer I say grazing down a hill .

I went to the area I got pictures of the Cooper's Hawk last week but it was quiet there as well. So I drove down Riddell Avenue and turned onto March Valley road. There I saw a Red Tailed Hawk close to the road. Did not get any good pictures as too many branches in the way. Shirley's Bay feeder were very busy with the usual crowd.

So where to go next, well Fletcher's on the way home and was talking to another birder yesterday and he had flushes out a Merlin at the back feeder as he was entering the wildlife garden. It was pretty active as well with the usual birds, Chickadees, Cardinals, House Sparrows and a mixing of red and black squirrels.

Not a great day shooting but nice to get out before the snow moves into the area again. I don't think winter wants to give up.


No comments: